Saturday 14 December 2013

Font Testing

PULSE MAGAZINE
This is Arial which is bold and quite formal. From my research of R&B magazines, the font used is usually bold and big, so I feel this font would be appropriate for my magazine. I would most likely write the masthead in this font in bold, and then make it smaller for the rest of the text as it is also a clear and easy to read text.

PULSE MAGAZINE
The font above is Dragline BTN. This font looks like an imitation of a child’s handwriting and would most likely be found on a children’s magazine or a magazine aimed at that target audience. It would be inappropriate for my R&B magazine as my target audience are much older, so it would be very out of place. Also it does not fit the connotations of R&B music being strong, smooth and soulful.

PULSE MAGAZINE
The third font is Curlz MT. Again this font would be unsuitable for my magazine as it is too cursive and therefore will be viewed as more feminine. This font would be better suited for a girl’s magazine, for example a ballet subscription magazine or princess magazine. As my target audience are both males and females, this font would alienate the male readers and make them feel as though this magazine is not aimed at their gender.

PULSE MAGAZINE
The next font is Mr Big SF. The characters themselves are very large and the curved edges add a playful feel to the font which I don’t think matches the feel of an R&B magazine. The chubby font, appears like it would be more suited again to a magazine whose main target audience was younger. 


PULSE MAGAZINE
This font is Diamond Heavy. I think this font is appropriate for my magazine, as like the first font I tested it is bold which is conventional of an R&B magazine. The characters are also spaced out, so if I were to blow it up and spread it across the top of my magazine, it would fill the space well. The edges are also sharp and smooth, reflective of the sleekness of an R&B magazine.

(upper case) PULSE MAGAZINE  (lower case) Pulse Magazine


The last font I will be testing is called Kunstler Script. This font is extremely hard to read when the characters are all written in upper case and in lower case, the font is still difficult to read as well. On a shelf this font definitely would not stand out and it is very unconventional of an R&B magazine to feature a very cursive font. Also for my magazine, I am sure I want all the characters to be written in upper case, as capital letters give the effect of shouting and capturing attention which is what I am aiming for when I create my magazine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment